PAGES

Friday, July 18, 2014

Paris Blog #4: Shopping & Centre Georges Pompidou


Alas, Friday was not a very good day for pictures. It was hot (again), and I needed new shorts! I was down to pants exclusively and it's going to just be way too warm for that until Tuesday. So I started the day at a place that is very near and dear to my heart: H&M. I saw one across from Galeries Lafayette yesterday but I wasn't able to go in because I spent all my time at Lafayette! 

Luckily, they were having a sale so I picked up a great new set of shorts and 2 tops, plus some random other goodies. I'm most excited because I found a top with buttons that doesn't do the boob thing. If you are like me and have something noteworthy in the bosom area, then you know that button-up shirts can be a nightmare. Everything fits, you've got all the buttons done and then you see it - the thing. That distinct pull that looks like you're about to pop outta that thing at any second. It's a constant problem for me, especially at H&M. So when I found one that fit, I was like FUCK YEAH. I was also really excited to see the plus sized area that they had in their store. We don't have that in any of the stores in Montreal. With the weight that I've put on over the last year waiting for surgery, my trunk has certainly got a lot of junk in it, and so I sometimes have to shop in the oversize. In the EU that's definitely the case. 

So after spending like 200 dollars there (I guess "other stuff" was probably a little too ambiguous oops - I'll show you everything in my Paris roundup post... or potentially video???) I crossed the street back to Galeries Lafayette. I had seen that cashmere sweaters were on sale yesterday from the house brand and a girl needs her cashmere... but it's hella expensive in Montreal. You might as well buy angora because the price is nearly the same. I also needed to stop by Joe Malone. Okay, so I technically didn't need to but they don't have Joe Malone stuff in Montreal - not that I'm aware of if I'm wrong please correct me - and I picked up a new body cream and fragrance and yum yum. The combo of the two is going to make me smell delish!


After all that shopping (people were side-eyeing me on the Metro with my bags hardcore omg), I went over to the Centre Georges Pompidou to meet my good friend Lucile. She goes to school with me in Montreal, but she's back in France for part of the summer with her family and friends and so it was great to see her!!! It was weird not seeing her for nearly a month! We went to go see the Magiciens de la Terre retrospective, which was not a fabulous exhibit, to be honest. 

To make a long story short about this exhibition, since I realize that most readers are not Art History majors like me and probably don't care, it placed major contemporary artists of the late 80s with unknown indigenous artists from around the world who 'had not been poisoned by the European art well' basically. It paired the artists up on formal basis, ignoring the more significant connections/points being made by both 'sets' of artists. It got a lot of criticism and the exhibition we saw today was basically displaying the ephemera from the original exhibit, but it missed out on the chance to be self-reflexive and critical of what it did. The best part was a video loop that laid out the exhibition plan and showed photos of all of the artworks. There's not too much about the exhibition online because it happened in the late 80s/early 90s, so it was great to see everyone who was there and what they put together.

After that, we took a look at one of the permanent galleries. I only knew Joseph Beuys and Basquiat in the entire exhibit! After thinking about how I was so uninformed about my contemporary art, I realized that it's because my survey courses and a lot of other courses in my program stopped looking to Europe as a source of artistic inspiration and things seemed to move to Asia/the United States. So it was great to discover a lot of new artists - well new to me, anyways!

I am not sure if it was just the exhibitions on display currently (there was also a small exhibit about Piccabia and Man Ray in one of the galleries) or the museum in general, but I would probably not visit again if I came back to Paris, which is the first time that I've genuinely not been wowed by what I'm seeing in this lovely city! I think that tomorrow will be a lot better! I'm going to the Musée du Quai Branly and I'm super excited to see the Indiens des Plaines and the tattoo show (I have a non-museumpass ticket that I paid for so I have to go tomorrow or I lose my money hahaha). 


No comments:

Post a Comment