PAGES

Monday, July 7, 2014

Product Battle #1: The Falsies vs. Miss Manga Mascara

I am a mascara fiend (no, seriously... my drugstore had a sale on mascara $4.99 instead of $8.99 for some of my favorites so I stocked up and bought like six because I go through mascara crazy fast). But just because I have my favorites doesn't mean that I'm not always trying new things to see if there's something that I like better. I'm a fan of dramatic lashes. I try to get them as full and long as possible without wearing falsies, even if I'm just going out to the shops or something. I can leave my house with pretty much no makeup on and only feel mildly self-conscious, but I feel naked without my mascara done.

So... I bring you the battle of the mascaras.


On my left eye is Maybelline's The Falsies in Black Drama and on the right is L'Oreal's Voluminous Miss Manga. Both eyes received the same treatment: I first curled my lashes at the root, the middle, and the tips. Then I put on three coats of mascara on the top lashes, one coat on the bottom lashes, some liquid eyeliner from Rimmel on top, and under the eye black liner. I'm also wearing some neutral colors across my eyelid. I think it's safe to say that the difference is quite dramatic.

I'm not wearing a lot of other makeup because I really wanted the focus here to be on my eyes.

The clear winner for me was The Falsies.


So here we have my lashes done with the Falsies. I use pretty much all of the different kids of this mascara, but Black Drama had to be near me and so that was what I picked up. As you can see, now only does the mascara greatly voluminize my lashes, but it also greatly lengthens them - almost to the point that they touch my eyebrows. The length that this mascara helps me achieve is almost double of what my eyelash length is sans mascara. Pretty incredible, right?



And here's my other eye, which is done with the L'Oreal Voluminous Miss Manga Mascara. I don't know if I'm the only person who is finding this to be annoying, but I really, really hate all the new mascaras with the wiggly brushes. I think that this is the "new" mascara trend, brushes that are not firm and instead allow some flexibility, but I find them much harder to use. I found that to be a bit tedious in the first round of application, but I have to say that this brush is a lot easier to use than the one on some of the other mascaras with the same type of applicator.

I think the biggest problem with this mascara is the brush. In some ways, it's great. I think that it does a better job of separating the lashes and definitely doesn't clump as much as The Falsies, where I have to sometimes separate my lashes with a tweezer. You can see that in the  photo of my other eye. But, I absolutely hate the brush and in terms of lengthening capabilities, I really think that this is where this mascara falls short. The cone shape of the brush really doesn't allow for the equal lift and pull that gives you the crazy lengthening on The Falsies. Yes, it does give you the very separated lashes that look like manga lashes, but the models in the commercials also have lashes that go on for days and though I tried three different times I could never get the length that I enjoy in my other favorite mascaras. 

The difference is visible. Because my lashes are so much longer and seem so much more lifted on my left eye, that eye looks a lot bigger than my right one. My lashes are also a lot more visible and turn my eyes into a focal point for my face (which is good because it distracts from a lot of the parts that I don't like about myself, such as my pudgy cheeks) whereas the other mascara makes my eyes fall flat. It's still better than no mascara whatsoever, and for those of you who prefer a natural look, I'd definitely go with the Manga mascara because that's a lot closer to what you're searching for, but for the drama and flare that most girls crave, The Falsies is the clear knockout.

No comments:

Post a Comment