PAGES

Monday, July 21, 2014

Paris Blog #7: Grand Palais



I can't believe that today was my last day of visiting Paris. I want to live here for the rest of my life, but alas, I have to go back to Montreal. </3

With my last day, I decided to sleep in late and go to the Bill Viola show at Le Grand Palais. It was the final day of the exhibition. I arrived at around 1:45pm and I walked around the entire building just looking at the gorgeous architecture. The science side of the building was closed so I just went to the one exhibition. 

Because I didn't have a ticket, I had to wait in the normal line and it was packed. It took me over an hour and a half just to get into the Grand Palais. My feet were sore just from waiting in line! I was pleasantly surprised to discover, however, that the building had two things that I took for granted before this week: free wifi, and air conditioning! I instagrammed live today and I was even able to post up two videos so thanks Grand Palais!

                    

After having a quick lunch, I went to the exhibition. I'm not sure if it's because it was the last day or if it's always this crazy, but it was packed. Considering that the exhibition was of video art, I was really expecting there to be more seating, because a lot of older people were at the exhibition and they were standing or sitting uncomfortably on the ground in each of the rooms. There were maybe about 20 pieces in the exhibition in all and I enjoyed the vast majority of them.


My favorite piece was the video that I took with the office-like setup. The first time you go in the surprise element is so unexpected. A lot of people screamed if they came in during a semi-scary clip. The television screen on the desk displays someone sleeping and then about once a minute, for a few seconds, the tv cuts out and projections appear on the wall, sometimes of people falling into the water, sometimes of a fire, sometimes of hounds. Presumably it's a few seconds of being in the subconscious of the sleeping people! Scary stuff!


I went through the entire exhibition in about an hour and a half. It was an easy walk-through and the pieces are very cerebral and immersive, so I would have stayed longer if it wasn't for the overcrowded feeling that I had. I was starting to get a little claustrophobic being around so many other people, honestly. 

All in all, it was a perfect way to round out my trip. I'm going to see if I can get some macaroons at the airport tomorrow morning (that should make Karen over on The Red Bow happy), and hopefully I can have some awesome desserts to bring back with me that way! I don't know how I made double the clothing fit into the same suitcase. I ended up shoving more in there today, oops! 

When I get back to the city, I'll be getting ready to move and I'll be at the Just For Laughs festival, so it'll be pretty quiet on the blog, but comment, let me know what kinds of posts you want to see and if you want me to try out any products, just make your wish known!



No comments:

Post a Comment