PAGES

Sunday, July 20, 2014

Paris Blog #6: Brunch & Musée du mode et textile


Note: I took no photos today, they're all courtesy of Dries Van Noten.

Today was a fairly calm day. I began by having brunch with my friend Lucile and her friends from earlier stages of school. It was great! We had a fun time at a lovely little restaurant near Bastille. The food was super good and it only cost 21 Euros - the same price as lunch at museum cafés, but about two times more food. 

I didn't end up going to Notre Dame because I was invited by the people living downstairs from where I'm staying to go and hang out with them and I don't know if I'll get to go tomorrow. It will depend on how early I wake up! Instead, I went to the Musée du Mode et Textile, which is currently home to the Dries Van Noten: Inspirations exhibition. I am so glad that I went because it's been my favorite exhibition by far. I went through it twice!



The exhibition pairs together Van Noten's collections with various artworks and other designer collections that have inspired him. The exhibition opens with a fabulous case containing works by well-known designers, especially ft. Pharrell's well known hat. The exhibition then goes through Van Noten's collections, supplementing the works with videos, photographs, etc.

The exhibition was extremely colorful - the second floor has an ongoing floral motif. The exhibition rooms in the Musée are really dark by nature and I think some people were having difficulties navigating, but this was not an issue for me, personally.

My favorite part of the exhibition was a slow-motion installation work which features models performing various activities in Van Noten's clothing. I got completely lost in watching the artworks and I stayed there for a long while. The section where it's located was framed by two mirrors on either side of the videos, making it seem as if the videos went on forever, making them even more spectacular.

When I got home, I spent most of my evening packing. Somehow, I managed to get twice the clothing into the same bag that I packed - and it was full before. I just have incidentals left. I can't believe that tomorrow is my last real day in Paris. It passed by so quickly. I'm not ready to go home, I want to stay here forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment